Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Cannot stop crying.

This morning, when I came into the living room, I was told that Robin Williams has died. I won*t go into all the details I read about until now, but at some point, I couldn*t bear the pain of this loss anymore, and I wrote a little poem for him :

I don*t know where to start, and I don*t know where to stop.
The feelings I have so hard, and I cannot stop the sob.
A shelter I am looking for is never there to hide.
From this and all and everything, I don*t know what*s inside.
Of me and you and everyone, can*t be absorbed in the tide.
I miss you, that is all I know, may God be by your side.

It is so hard to think of all this, and even though I know I should not focus on the loss, but focus on the happy moments he gave us, on the thought-provoking quotes, etc. He will be greatly missed.

One thing I want to express, however, is that all you who are suffering from depression (or other mental illnesses) are not alone. I have been in situations when I tried to take my own life, but obviously I was never successful. I was in a mental hospital twice in my life. A friend* of mine commited suicide when I was 18 ... She was one of the greatest people I have ever known, and an inspiration to many people around her. I have felt like ending my life was the only option available for me at many times in my life.
If you are in the same situation, please reach out for help. I have done so, too, and sure, there may be people who could not take it seriously, but all in all, most people are much more althruistic and willing to help you than you might think, and I am speaking from my own experience. If you want to, talk to a friend whom you trust, or a family member, or a teacher. Anybody whom you can trust really ... Most people would regret not having had the option to help you in such times if you did commit suicide. I really don*t want this to sound like PRESSURE, but I know I did wish I knew about my friend*s struggle back then. And I regret not having had the power to help her. If you like, you can also call a helpline. (For example, this page (I hope linking is okay?) provides a list of helplines.) As far as I know, you needn*t state your full name or could also go anonymously, and you can talk openly to somebody who is not involved and who is not as subjective as your friends or family are. Whatever you prefer, please do it.
I wish I could provide help to anybody who is suffering from depression or other mental illnesses really, but I don*t always know whether what I say would help somebody in need. :( However, I see everybody as somebody who can teach me about things. You are special in your own way, and you CAN inspire others!! Please remember that.

Okay, this got a little rambly, but I hope you are alright ... If you have anything to add, please feel free to leave a comment. If you want to comment, also feel free to leave a comment. And if you don*t want to, that*s perfectly fine as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment